The Benefits of Mindfulness Meditation
Mindfulness Meditation is one of the best ways to silence the mind and release resistance. There are many benefits of mindfulness meditations, but before I list them here, you may be wondering what mindfulness meditation is. Mindfulness meditation is the style of meditation where you focus on a mantra, or your breath, or both. It’s purpose is to draw your attention inward and to be at peace with the present moment. When you focus on your breath or a mantra, and thoughts creep in, which they often do, you simply and gently bring your attention back to your mantra or your breathing. When you quiet your mind for 20 minutes, once to twice a day, you begin to release stress, calm your nervous system, and quiet the mind.
The Benefits of Mindfulness Meditation:
- Clearing the internal chatter or “monkey mind”. By clearing the monkey mind you are processing your stress and freeing your mind of the cycle of endless repeated thoughts throughout the day, leaving your mind more open to insight and solutions. When the mind is overactive with chatter, it can sometimes lend a hand to self-sabotage, so when you release the chatter you are releasing your tendency to self-sabotage.
- Mindfulness meditation has been shown to reduce cortisol. Cortisol is the primary stress hormone, which increases sugars (glucose) in the bloodstream. Long term activation of the stress-response system results in an overexposure of cortisol and other stress hormones, which can put you at risk of many health problems, including weight gain, heart disease, anxiety, depression, digestive and sleep problems, and memory impairment.
- Meditation has been shown to lower blood pressure.
- Meditation has been showing to improve the immune system.
- Meditation can help you manage difficult emotions.
- According to neuroscientific research, mindfulness meditation alters how we see ourselves in the world. For example if we are caught up in negative thinking, it can lead to poor emotional and behavioral outcomes, including depression and anxiety. By practicing mindfulness, it guides us away from our negative self talk about how our life should be and moves us into how life actually is, moment to moment.
- Mindfulness meditation promotes relaxation, peace, and tranquility.
- Mindfulness meditation can induce spontaneous joy and happiness.